16 September 1999: Interrogations by Kate Matta

[excerpt from The New York Times, dated 15 September 1999]:

Patrons of the Metropolitan Museum of Art were filled with relief today when the museum heist-master known only as “B” was taken into custody at approximately 2 AM this morning. Her target at the Metropolitan Museum is rumored to have been a set of revolvers from the Arms and Armor exhibit. Police state that when B broke the glass display, she triggered a silent alarm, and within minutes she was surrounded. Two officers were injured when B resisted arrest, and are recovering at the Lenox Hill hospital. The police have issued no further statements as of yet, particularly about B’s methods of eluding them over the past three years. B is currently undergoing questioning.

Continued page 4

[part of the interrogation tape during questioning of B, dated 16 September 1999; questions from Detective Ian Montclair have been omitted]:

…No, I never said that.

This isn’t the beginning of a story, it’s where all of them intersect. Because a story is a world all on its own, and this is where all of the worlds come together and…do whatever it is they do. No, it doesn’t sound real, but that’s okay. It’s not like you want a real explanation anyway. You just want me to tell you how I get away from you so easy.

Look, here it is. I open a door, right? And because I’m part of the house now, that door opens to the house, and I just—disappear. That’s what I’ve been telling you for the past three hours.

It’s called D-house, dipshit, don’t make me say it again.

Well, it wasn’t always called D-house, I just ended up calling it that. Hey, it makes sense, right? Dee—mensional, right? [laughs] No, really. It is a dimensional house, it can go anywhere anywhen anywhich place you want to go. If you can get in.

As if I’d help you.

[excerpt from Newsweek magazine, dated 18 September 1999]:

…But who is she, really? When we tried to get in to talk with her, police were adamant that we leave. We have no answers, only conjecture, and the parts of the interrogation performed by Detective Montclair. (For a full transcript of the interrogation, see page 22.)

Some religious sects say the young woman, aged 19 according to the information the police chose to give us, is a reincarnation of a chaos god, others say she is a prophet. The Catholic Church refuses to comment on her. Scientologists have been quoted as saying that she is a light to the way to defeat Xenu (for more on the beliefs of Scientology, see page 83). Many psychologists, among them the famous contemporary child psychologist Anne Scarr, have stated that B may just be a confused orphan. “She may have made up the story of the dimensional house to get attention, or to project her conflicting feelings of loneliness onto a concrete object that only she could see.” Other psychologists believe the case is even more severe than that. “I wouldn’t be surprised if she is diagnosed with schizophrenia,” Scarr adds.

I don’t remember where I came from. No, really, I don’t. I just kinda…was there, you know? I don’t wanna talk about it anymore.

No, I don’t remember how little I was when I got there, all right? I just was. Yeesh. I was lost, I needed help, I asked for help, and when I opened the door, I was right there in D-house. And I…I kinda got lost in there for awhile. I mean, I wanted to leave, I wanted to go back home. But D-house doesn’t understand that kind of thing. It understands people wanting to leave, but not for where, even though—yes, I remember I said it—it opens to everywhere. You have to know how to work it right so you don’t end up on the far side of Pluto or something.

Well, I don’t know how to explain it. You tell me.

[excerpt from report of Kyle Marten, child psychologist, on patient “B”]:

Patient seems to have acute awareness of objects as extensions of place. Kept asking me about the bowl of fruit on the table, asked about each fruit as being part of the whole. After I explained the arrangement as aesthetic, she withdrew from the conversation. Patient seems to believe that all objects exist as part of the purpose of the whole: if one piece of fruit is missing, she stated after several attempts to restart conversation, then the integrity of the bowl is gone. She framed this as a partially interrogative statement.

Patient is happy to play chess; would rather play chess than engage in conversation or cooperate with blot tests. She seems fascinated with the pieces, especially the knights, and I rarely see her not touching them in some way.

A note about blot tests: patient seems to find it funny to respond with the most disturbing images to the cards I show her. She will wait several seconds, clearly deep in thought, before replying with the crudest image she can think of. When I tell her that that is not how the test works, she laughs at me.

[part of the interrogation tape during questioning of B, dated 25 September 1999; questions from Agent Rodney Feuller have been omitted]:

Why the hell should I tell you how to get into D-house? What are you gonna use it for? It can’t be a weapon or anything, you know. Weapons aren’t welcome there, the house eats them.

You can’t get in because I’m not gonna tell you how, and I’m not gonna tell you how because you’ll screw everything up, and I won’t let you. So suck on that.

Hey, it’s not like I want to steal stuff, my mom taught me it was a bad thing to do, just like any other mom would do. But I don’t have much of a choice. D-house lets me stay, so I have to help it. That’s the way it works.

Sometimes things in the house get outside—sometimes it’s somebody coming in, not knowing where they are, taking stuff—sometimes it’s a weird wind—those happen, I’m not kidding—sometimes it’s just what happens. But it screws up the house, and when the house is screwed up, bad stuff can happen to the worlds it’s connected to—as in everything. And I mean really bad stuff. People call them weather phenomenons or an angry god or whatever, but it’s really D-house not having the things that balance it out. So I get them back, that’s all. I can’t help it if they’re all in museums or bookstores or auction places or people’s homes. D-house needs them. It’s as simple as that.

[excerpt from Dateline, dated 29 September 1999]:

There have been dark rumors that the government wants to do something with B, and the house she professes to live in. But how can a rational government believe such an obvious hoax? We go to sociologists and psychologists George Nuntley and Arthur Fried for a possible answer…

Note: I seem to have misplaced a few of my chess pieces after a visit with B; to whit, a black knight and a white one, as well as a black rook.

Yeah, you try and lock me up. You just try.